Friday, November 5, 2010

In The Beginning

I was born with a mole on the Left side of my neck. Throughout my life it remained small, about the size of a pencil eraser. I wasn't interested in having it removed until it started to change.

In 1999 we took a Caribbean Cruise for our honeymoon. I noticed the mole was beginning to change on the cruise. It got larger and turned darker. Maybe it was affected by the intense sun exposure. I decided to have it removed by my family physician and they said the pathology came back fine.

Six years later the mole grew back, it was removed by a surgeon in a local Hospital. Margins were said to be cleared. It took a long time to get the test results. It went from the local pathologist to Chicago and then to Mayo Clinic. They determined that it was Spitz Nevus and not Melanoma.

A year later the mole grew back again. It looked the same as in 2005. I had it removed by the same surgeon in the local Hospital. Margins were said to be cleared. Tests done on it said that it was Spitz Nevus again.

October 2009 the mole comes back again. This time it looks different and grows much faster and larger than before. I went to the same surgeon from before November 2009, he said it was a Keloid scar and injects the area several times with steroids. He said it would cause it to shrink and eventually go away. The area continued to grow larger over the next several months. I was concerned some, but mostly annoyed.

The same surgeon put ear tubes in Coreyn the spring of 2010. When we went in for her check-up I asked him about the spot on my neck. It was getting a ring of red around the growing tumor. He looked at it and said I should see a dermatologist.

0 comments:

Post a Comment